Thursday, February 11, 2010

Grocery Shopping to Save

Grocery Shopping to Save

We believe in the pantry principle. It takes time to get there but the idea is that you buy what is on sale at a great buy, and then have enough till the next sale. Example: If I can get pasta sauce for 25 cents a can with sale plus coupon I buy 20 and that will last 6 months till the next sale. Today I bought 37 peanut butters since after savings they were 89 cents a can. We use 1 a week or so that’s a good deal for us. My husband loves the morning star products but they are $3.50 a box and I find that expensive though he insists we has them. Recently there was a sale plus I used coupons and bought him 75 boxes at 66 cents each. GREAT savings.

The pantry principle is the idea that eventually you could buy most things when they are on sale and avoid full price on many items. Yes, there are many items I buy not on sale or a deal but they are low cost and practical and well thought out. Also I compare if the generic is better than a sale and get that.

My golden shopping rule: STOP GOING SO MUCH!!

It amazes me how many people shop 3-4 times a week? What could anyone need that often? We go once a week. Now its Thurday am but when the kids were little it was one night a week after they were in bed and my husband was home with them. The only time I go more than once or to more than one store is if I am near it and the ad was great. For example, there is a store next to my sons orthodontist that is expensive but often has great loss leaders or marked down stuff. So the once a month we are there I drop him, go to the store, than get him. No additional driving or cost of gas. I find many great buys that way but it only pays if you are already there. They are also the store that doubles coupons so when I clip them I keep a spot of coupons for that store that will make items really cheap or near free after they double.

Fresh items: When I shop ONCE a week I buy tons of fruits and veggies, eggs and bread. I buy what is in season and on sale, that’s what we eat. We use the fresh fruits and veggies in the first few days after I shop, sometimes in order of how well they will keep. Bananas right away while apples last all week no problem. I wash and spin the lettuce so it lasts all week. I do keep canned fruit such as mandarin oranges and pineapple in stock and also frozen veggies for if we run out.

Most people will run to the store for those few items they have run out of and spend 50 or 100 dollars. I find that if I stay away I can use what we have and have less waste. We have never gone hungry or without good nutritious meals by me waiting to shop for a day. Out of bread? Than sandwiches are on crackers, etc etc etc. You get the idea. There is always something that can be made. Not always your first choice but it sure beats blowing extra money at the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment